Experts say a sluggish metabolism is the reason why people find it extremely difficult to lose weight. Wrong dietary choices, lack of nutrients, consumption of processed food, sedentary lifestyle, chronic stress, and sleep deprivation can impact metabolism in a big way. Now, what’s metabolism? Metabolism is a mechanism that converts calories from food to energy form and it is always at work inside your body – even when you are taking rest, sleeping or just sitting idle. The energy your body uses for these basic functions is called your basal metabolic rate. The rate at which you burn calories at rest is called “resting metabolic rate” (RMR). Our day-to-day activities, our lifestyle, the food we eat, crash dieting, and even the amount of stress we go through impacts metabolism a great deal. To fix a sluggish metabolism, it’s important to bring in a few changes – whether it’s by eating nutrient-dense food, making the right lifestyle choices, or just getting a good night’s sleep. So, here you go with 8 easy ways to fix metabolism and burn extra calories.
1. Sip on Green Tea: Green tea has antioxidants and caffeine, both of which boost metabolism. Some studies show green tea can increase energy expenditure by up to 3-4%. But you should limit consumption of green tea to just 2 to 3 cups because overconsumption may cause dehydration due to its diuretic properties.
2. Drink Plenty of Water: Just having a glass of water can increase your metabolism for up to 25% for an hour! Now you know why everyone recommends drinking at least 8 glasses of water per day.
3. Add Some More Spice To your Food: Indian spices, a staple in all Indian kitchens, contribute a deal in the fat-burning process, apart from adding immense flavour and taste to the dishes. Capsaicin, in particular, is a compound found in chillies that turn up metabolism by inducing thermogenesis, where the body burns fat into heat form, resulting in reduction of overall weight. Also read: “8 Spices That Help Burn Belly Fat.”
4. Increase Protein Intake: Amping up protein intake has been shown to remarkably increase metabolism which in turns torches up a lot of extra calories. This macronutrient has thermogenic properties which means that the body utilizes more calories to break down protein compared to carbs and fats. Eggs, fish, chicken, tofu, cottage cheese, lentils, etc. are all good sources of protein.
5. Keep Moving, Change Positions, and Stand up from a Sitting Position Every 60 Minutes: It’s a fact that prolonged sitting can dip metabolism and slow down the fat-burning process. Taking 5 minutes break every half an hour (from a sitting position), changing positions even while sitting, and being physically active can improve metabolism by a great measure.
6. Sleep with the Temperature Setting Down: Cold temperature can stimulate metabolism because the body needs to maintain its core temperature and would burn more calories to generate heat. There are three types of fat in the body – beige, brown and white fat. When sleeping with the thermostat down, brown fat in the body burns off more calories to maintain the core temperature of the body, but remember not to freeze yourself out.
7. Sleep For 7 Hours: Sleep deprivation can create havoc in your body, throwing hormones out of whack, increasing stress level, and also lowering metabolism. By sleeping for at least 7 hours, the body gets a chance to balance out hormones, speed up lipolysis, and also level up the metabolism.
8. Be Happy and Laugh Often: Research has shown that just being happy and laughing often increases heart rate and metabolism by up to 20%! You don’t even have to break a sweat while doing so. Just maintain a positive outlook toward life and find happiness in little moments and see amazing things unfold.
Summing up, a robust metabolism helps the body to utilize calories efficiently. To lose weight, maintaining a calorie deficit is absolutely necessary – so eat healthy food, exercise consistently, sleep well, and lower stress levels. If you want to follow a good weight loss diet, Rati Beauty diet is for you which helps you to get into a calorie deficit by eating the right kind of food.
8 Spices That Help Burn Belly Fat
20 Foods That Burn Fat While you Sleep